Friday, September 10, 2010

Imagine

I have an overactive imagination and sometimes I think that’s not a good thing. I def think it’s an issue in this computer age. When I send out an e-mail or a text, I know that the other party gets it almost immediately. I know it’s out there, and I expect a response. Here’s an example. I have a friend who works in St. Louis, he’s my old boss. Well I’ve been reaching out to this guy on facebook, e-mail, and…that’s about it. But I’ve sent like 5 messages that didn’t get responses. My mind started to run. I seriously thought this guy was mad at me. Insert tragic story. So another guy that we worked with back in the day, his brother died. The guy who died was my age. I don’t know how he died, but it was crazy sad and I sent my condolences. Well I contacted this dude and said, “That was really tragic what happened to our friend.” No response. So then I start thinking, “ok, someone told this guy that I’m getting a divorce and he probably thinks I’m abandoning my kids, he probably thinks I’m a scuzzball and doesn’t want anything to do with me.” This is how my mind works. When something isn’t making sense, I will start to think of scenarios and then boil it down to the most likely one. I boiled it down to 2 scenarios, he’s really busy, or he’s angry at me. Finally I broke down and asked him if I offended him in some way. I did it in such a way that I didn’t come off looking like too much of a psycho. He got back to me right away, “Did I miss some e-mails, what happened, blah blah blah.” It was no biggie. He was just busy. Weird though.

Another weird thing happened to me yesterday. I was leaving work and some dude walks up to me and says, “Somebody’s gonna be pitched.” I’m like, “yeah?” This dude was one of those guys where you can’t pinpoint whether he’s homeless or what right away. My first thought (active imagination) was that someone was going to be pitched off of a roof or something for the Transformers movie that they’re filming. Although I thought they were done filming. Then he says again, “Somebody’s gonna be pitched. See that Cherokee back there? The windows busted out. Glass all over the place. Somebody’s gonna be pitched. I didn’t do it.” I was like, “Yeah. I didn’t do it either.” He’s like, “well somebody’s gonna be pitched.” Then as I approached the street to cross I noticed that he stepped back like the street was a river of molten lava. I said, “See you” as I crossed the lava to the safety of the other side. I think the guy wasn’t going to tempt fate by following me. Lucky.

It looks like rain for the Notre Dame vs. Michigan game. Bummer. I hope the weatherman is wrong. Either way I’m going to have to go out and buy some ponchos for me and the kids. It sucks standing in the rain, but you gotta do it sometimes. It’s just such a downer, cuz you just envision the day being nice, sunny, warm. You picture yourself throwing the football around, playing with the kids, having a cold one, eating a sandwich. You can’t do all that stuff in the rain. You can sit in the car. You can go inside. That’s about it. No need to get to the game early if you are just gonna sit in the car while it rains. It sucks. Weekend ahead. I’m sure I’ll have more stories next week. Hopefully I’ll have the story of a Michigan victory.

No comments: