Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Disposability

Oh boy, lunch date today. Should be interesting. Had a great chat with the girl last night and we really had a similar outlook on dating and everything. I told her about some of the near misses I’ve had, where you think there’s something there and if fizzles. She said she hasn’t felt like “there might be something there” in a long time. Bummer. We came to a few conclusions. Well one hard and fast rule. A connection should never end on a text. Wishful thinking for sure. I would probably have at least 2 connections still going if that were a cultural norm. Norm. So we got to chatting I said it’s frustrating with online dating because it seems accepted to treat other people as if they were disposable. There’s no question that for whatever reason, people look at online dating connections as disposable. Maybe the person just doesn’t have time for it and it’s a nuisance. “Oh well, it’s only an online dating thing, who cares.” Who knows what the motivations might be. I don’t live my life that way. I don’t treat people as if they were disposable. I at least give them the respect and courtesy that everyone deserves. I told that one girl from OKC that it just wasn’t a match. I told the punk girl from Match that I wasn’t interested. It’s hard to give someone the dis, but it’s the right thing to do. If you exchange an e-mail with someone, if there is a connection, you owe it to the other person to give them closure. That’s how I feel anyway. So we’re chatting last night and the girl says, “Well you are not disposable to me.” That was so cute. What a nice thing to say. I told her that she is not disposable to me either. I wonder if that is the first time that exchange has ever been made. It could become a cultural norm. Norm. Before you say you are “in like.” Before you say “I’m way into you.” Before you say “I lll*vv u.” You say, “You are not disposable to me.”

I had a good weekend. I had the kids on Friday. That was fun. Then on Saturday morning I cruised to South Bend for the Notre Dame/Purdue game. Good time. Hung with some Purdue faithful, and ND faithful. It was a nice crisp day. A little windy. A little chilly at times. Overall, good football weather. ND won the game and Brian Kelly got off to a good start as ND head coach. I’m trying to think of other eventful things. Good times meeting up with an old friend of a friend. At one point does a friend of a friend just become a friend? I guess I would call this guy and the others of his ilk that went to ND with my friend, friend. The game was fun. I guess Michigan looked really good in their game. I’m glad. Next week’s game should absolutely rock. Nothing better than two undefeated teams going head to head. I don’t know how many years Michigan and Notre Dame are going to play. Maybe 2. It sounds like M wants to move on. With the restructuring in the big 10, we might end up playing Ohio State twice in a season, we’ll also play Nebraska every year. I’m thinking that they will stagger Ohio State and Nebraska so that we don’t have them at home in the same year, that will help our season ticket sales. Prolly wouldn’t hurt to have Michigan State and ND in there too to sweeten the thing. Who knows. It was a fun day at ND though, it was good to hang with everybody. It’s a long day though. I got up at 6 am to get on the road, by 10 pm, I was kinda beat. We all went out though, which was good. Had some beers. Took it easy, that was the wise thing to do. I think we were tempted to keep it going at like 1230, but discretion was the better part of valor and we all went back and crashed. Good move.

I’m glad I crashed cuz my boys had their first football games on Sunday. We were really worried about our one son making weight. He had to lose like 9 ounces in 2 days. I don’t know how it all works, but he came in at 3 pounds under the weight limit. I know he worked hard and ate very little for like 2 days, still, that seems like a big shift in 2 days. We weren’t going to question it. He had a good game. It’s always nice when you are basically one of the biggest guys on the field. He seemed to be in the backfield on every play on defense. He stripped the ball on one play and stopped a guy in the backfield on another. It was fun to watch. They rolled their opponents too. I think they won like 33 to 7 or something. My other son’s team got rolled. It looked like he was mixing it up when he got in there. That was good. It was a fun time.

Ok. Phew. For a second there I had nothing to write about. I totally forgot about the e-mail I had sent myself with possible topics in it. I have a ton to talk about now. I went with my ps to Costco on Sunday. They wanted me to look at the computers. While we were there I grabbed some other necessary items like socks, t-shirts, and 6 lbs of protein shake mix. I’M GONNA GET HUGE!!!!!! On the way home, they mentioned to me about this woman who recently got divorced. She was our neighbor back in the day and now her whole family lives in one of the nicest subdivisions in town and they are all filthy rich. This woman is about 8 years older than me. Back in the day, she was really cute and no question an object of my pre-pubescent fantasies. Who knows what she looks like now. I’m definitely not a cougar guy, or I don’t even know if that classifies as cougar. I think I’m too old to be cougar prey, I could be wrong. I started thinking about it though, just because that’s what my mind tends to do. It would seriously be like winning the lottery, well sort of. I could never do it; I’m just getting out of an unhappy relationship, so I would not seek to enter a new relationship on questionable grounds. I guess it’s just something you have to consider. You have to think about what might be best for you and your kids. It’s like, I would be totally comfortable, my kids’ college would be paid for, no worries about money ever again. At what cost though? The cost of self-fulfillment. I’m sure I wouldn’t be motivated to do anything if I had no financial worries. I couldn’t cheat on her, I’m not like that, so if I was unhappy, I’d just have to live with it. I thought this would be a long solid philosophically fruitful discourse, it’s not working out that way. It all depends on what you are looking for. I’m looking for a solid meaningful relationship of equals, hopefully with someone who I find physically attractive. Some guys might be looking for a sugar momma. If they look hard enough, they’ll find one. They’re out there.

I guess that is enough. I gotta figure out what’s up with lunch. I will have more tomorrow.

No comments: