Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I talk crazy

So I was running all over the place last night and then I got home. I talked to my buddy on the phone, went up and got on the computer, and around 10pm I realized that I hadn’t busted my wig down. Dr. Choppy had taken 3 huge chunks of hair out of the back of my head and contrary to some of the reviews I got, it was definitely visible. Somebody told me that you couldn’t see it unless you were looking. You could see it. It really looked like a three clawed creature had scratched the hair out of my head in one quick swoop. I had to get out the clippers even though what I wanted to do was hit the satchmo. It was actually fun busting the wig cuz I did have like an inch of growth. The only problem is that I missed a spot. Well I didn’t miss it, but I couldn’t see it well and the clippers just didn’t want to go there. That means there’s a little patch of long hairs right on the top of my dome. I really don’t think it’s visible. If I had a pair of scissors I could bust it down no prob, I just gotta get around to it. And not forget. Maybe I’ll just grab some shears, run into the bathroom and handle it. Might not be a bad idea. I should’ve jumped in the shower after I busted and washed all the hair off. Instead I shook my head over the garbage can and went to bed. Checked the pillow case this morning, should’ve showered. Oh well, I just dusted the pillow case. No harm done.

On the dating tip. Not much new to report. My success at getting a response with one e-mail is reverting back to the mean. I did get a sort of response from this one woman, only it was an automated negation from Match. That was cool though, better that than nothing. I got an e-mail last night from somebody. I gave her the automatic neg. She was creepy looking. One reason why I was running late last night is that the weird woman from way back who tried to booty call me on a Thursday night, well she messaged me. Totally freaked me out. I thought she was gone. I felt obligated to chat with her for a few minutes and that set me back. I was trying to multi-task and talk on the phone, that didn’t work. I had to bail. It’s getting to the point where I’m going to have to do something with my National tix. I think I’m gonna sell em.

I’ve been tripping on this conversation that I had with somebody last night. We were talking about online dating and he said, “in the old days, you’d get 3 or 4 rejections in a year, this was normal. Now with the speed you can meet someone, you can get 3 or 4 rejections in a week. You have to mentally prepare for that.” That’s not really what I was tripping on, but it got us talking about how with online dating, you are pulling from a huge pool of people that you may have little in common with. Honestly, looks are everything. You can pretty much forego the fact that they are vegetarian, into triathlons, into traveling, cooking, watching TV, etc. and want them just based on looks. The people that are into what you are into that aren’t attractive don’t even merit a second glance. I should say that if a woman is moderately good looking and into things you are into, it’s a plus. It gets them in the door. It might get a date, or lunch, or something, then you can figure it out from there. The other thing we discussed was that traditionally, people met through mutual friends, school, work, church, etc. These connections usually involved a good bit of common ground to build from: mutual friends, similar job, similar scholastic predilections, etc. Online, who knows? You could be meeting someone who is from a completely different part of the country, totally different upbringing, different school, different job, different religion, the chances of a match are slimmer because you are working with less common ground. Thus the rejection rate should be even higher based upon the difficulty in finding someone you are compatible with. Don’t get me started, but there still may be a kind of stigma associated with online dating and you may be able to stereotype online daters as having either a variety of social flaws or a common flaw. It’s something I’ve been grappling with, it goes something like, “are all these people insane?” They might be. Or a good number of them might be.

This morning I was getting in my car and this latin American man yelled to me from across the street, “Check it out. In the circle. It’s a skunk.” I looked, saw the skunk and said, “yeah.” I was putting stuff in my trunk and the skunk was like 20 feet away. It was in the trees in the cul-de-sac and it seemed to be going about its business. The dude across the street was like, “There’s a skunk in the circle!” I was like, “Yeah, I see it, thanks.” I dunno why this guy was so hung up on the skunk, did he think it was going to attack me? I almost ran a skunk over on my bike one day and it didn’t spray me. I think you really have to come after a skunk to even get it to notice you. I don’t think they run after people to spray them, it’s a defense mechanism. As I pulled out of the driveway one of the neighbors was walking his dog. I stopped and rolled down my window and told him about the skunk. Now he could’ve (and might’ve) gotten sprayed if the dog went apeshit after the skunk. I don’t know the neighbor, but I figured it was the right thing to do. As I was driving away I thought, a lot of people probably wouldn’t have stopped to warn the guy. I figured it was the right thing to do.

No comments: