Thursday, August 19, 2010

Useless Drivel

Every once in a while I get a wild hair up my butt and I actually seriously consider going to law school. It happened today and I wish someone would beat me up to make it go away. I can think of some good reasons to get a JD (Juris Doctorate, aka Law degree), but going deep into debt to do it is not one of them. A lot of chief compliance officers have JDs. I don’t think they all do; the ones that don’t probably have a shitload of experience in Finance, which imho I do. I’m thinking that I could really progress in my career with a JD. I’m also thinking that taking 3 years to get a JD might not be the best way to spend my time right now. It’s a conundrum for me. On one hand, I want to be a writer, I want to write screenplays, I want to be a creator. Those are dreams (or one dream, I guess), on the other hand I want to be successful and wealthy I guess, and maybe getting a JD and moving up the ladder in my current career is a way to do that. Obviously going to Law School sorta cuts into free time for other things like work, family, writing, breathing. Like I said, it’s a passing thing, like a cold. It will go away soon.

What won’t go away is the ragweed pollen in the air. I hate that shit. It messes me up for sure. The other day my eyes were itchy and I thought “what month is it?” Early Aug? Ragweed. The last few years I haven’t gotten it that bad, but this year might be different. I gotta make sure I’m all stocked up on Allegra. That stuff works great for me, it knocks it right out.

I came to an interesting conclusion today about online dating and stuff. There’s this one woman who I’m kinda interested in, and kinda not. We exchanged information and we are supposed to chat sometime online, that was last week. It’s tough. The kids take a lot of your time. Last weekend was a whirlwind for me, I didn’t have time to get in touch with anybody. The one woman bailed (I mentioned yesterday) probably because of that, I told her I would call her over the weekend. I called her Sunday night. She didn’t answer, and I was glad cuz I could leave a message and fulfill my obligation. Anyway, this other woman I tried to instant message her a couple of times, and we just haven’t made the connection. I sent her an e-mail and said “let’s pick a time and get this chat going.” The fact of the matter is that I’m not that interested in her, and I’m not really making time for her. This is all well and good, but the question is, could this be applied to other people I’m in contact with, who don’t seem to be making time for me? Interesante. I don’t know the answer, it’s definitely possible, and I firmly believe that if someone is interested in you, they will make the time to stay in touch. It’s weird, I don’t know if it’s gamesmanship, but sometimes people just don’t get back to you. It’s all just up in the air. I guess it’s just the reality of it, you just have to be patient and wait it out.

Weird thing. I’m walking down the train platform and I’m sorta just wanting to be left alone, like I always am in the morning on the way to work. I’m never up for a casual chat with someone I don’t know, I just want to chill. I’m walking down the platform and I see an old couple who are long time friends of my parents. I could’ve easily just walked on by. I didn’t. I stopped, confirmed they were who I thought they were (there was no doubt, just an ice breaker) and introduced myself. I talked to them for the 5 minutes before the train arrived. It was really nice. The guy went to Northwestern and used to get us tickets for the NW hoops games sometimes. It looked like they were going on a trip, so I inquired about that. Dude was going on a trip to the hospital to get a growth removed from his colon. Not sure if they were removing the growth or part of his colon. Neither one sounds like a good time. He said it was a routine procedure and that the growth was benign. Ok. It was nice catching up with them. I def feel like I’m taking more chances and just doing the right thing more. I dunno if it’s because of the dating or what, but I feel like I’m becoming a bit more outgoing, and it’s not bad.

No comments: