Tuesday, August 17, 2010

So Very Tired

Interpol last night. Good show. I was gonna say that I don’t get it, but I really do get it. Bands come out earlier during the week. I thought I learned my lesson at the Pretenders. The last night of their stay in Chicago, they have to get on the road, it’s Monday. It all adds up to grabbing the cash and getting your dash on. The show was supposed to start at 730 with one opener. You figure they will play a half hour, a half hour to set up for Interpol, and Interpol will come on around 9. We get there at 9 and the band is on the stage. The guy at the door said they had been on for 20 mins, I think it was more like a half hour. We were there like 38 minutes and they left the stage and said thank you. For the mathematically challenged, that was 9 effin 38 at night. They did two encores and were done by 10. WTF?! I was thinking more like 9 to 11. I dunno where they have to go, but like I said, they got paid. They didn’t cheat the crowd, they just came out really early. Hopefully I learned my lesson with this one. The other lesson I learned is that just because the waitress buys you a shot of Jack, doesn’t mean you have to do it. What was with that? Both waitresses came over to our table to do a shot with us. Did they think it was our birthday (collectively?) Def wish I had a do-over on that one. I feel pretty ok. I think I would feel fine if I hadn’t had the shot. And if I had gotten to bed before 2.



On to other news. So I finally scraped together the stones to find out what somebody’s deal was. It wasn’t the PDA couple, although I did see them yesterday. It wasn’t the guy with the walker, he’s on deck though. It also wasn’t the most sexually fulfilled couple on Earth, but I did see them today. Hadn’t seen them in a while. It was actually someone I haven’t mentioned before. I don’t think. There is this African American gentleman who has a suped-up wheelchair and he cruises around my neighborhood. I think our neighborhood is fairly culturally diverse (not really), but I don’t think this goes over well with the neighbors. The guy likes to ride his wheelchair in the street, much to the chagrin of the Porsches and Benzes trying to get to Whole Foods. I’ve seen the guy around, he wears a maroon baseball hat and just cruises basically. I totally wanted to know what his deal was. So I’m at my kid’s football practice. I’ve got the windows open in my car and I’m waiting for practice to end. The dude goes cruising by and he says “hi” or something. I was surprised cuz I wasn’t even looking in that direction, so I said “hey.” He had already zipped by though. Then I had to move my car. I saw the dude riding his wheelchair offroad through the grass by the pond. Finally I just thought “screw it.” I got out of the car and waited for the dude to drive up. Physically the guy’s deal is that he is missing one leg right in the middle of the thigh. Other than that, he looks pretty normal. He’s not obese or anything. He’s cruising through the grass and he’s about 5 feet away and I say, “That’s quite an all terrain vehicle you’ve got there.” He stutters out, “I I I wwas jjust down feeding the ducks. They see me coming.” I say, “I bet, they probably recognize you.” He says, “yyeah yeah, they ddo.” Then we chatted a little bit about the weather. He was saying how he needs to get out and cruise around before Winter comes and he’s all cooped up. I get that. He seemed fairly with it, tough to say if he is mentally challenged or not. It was a nice chat, then he motored on out. I was pretty pleased with myself for making the move. That’s one down and I guess 2 to go.

No comments: