Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mule got lame

Lolla is in the books. I think I covered all of the relevant goings on. One thing I failed to mention is that there was a dude, going around shirtless, that had shaved his chest/body hair into an arrow that pointed down at his peni. That was kinda funny. Also sorta lame and pathetic. I dunno, who knows about these kids today. You would think that after a long weekend baking in the sun at Lolla, that I would just want to cruise home on Monday after work and crash. If you thought this, you would be absolutely right. Well, no such luck. My car has this problem where it dies out at random times. I usually just throw it in neutral, put on the hazards and get it started again. Well whatever problem causes this reared its head on Monday night and my roll and start didn’t work. I ended up on the side of the road with a dead battery. It was like 90 degrees out, so I had that going for me. I called the Illinois department of transportation (IDOT) to get a tow truck out. Well they came out and basically took me and my car to a bad neighborhood right off the highway and left me there. Thanks IDOT, for all that you do. I called Allstate and they sent out a tow truck, they said it would be out in 2 hours. I told them, “In 2 hours, I’ll probably be dead.” Well the people in india do the best they can to help some sad sap in Chicago, but they really don’t have a lot of sympathy I’m sure. So I waited there. I couldn’t lock myself in the car cuz when I had the door closed it was like 100 degrees in there. So I just sat there on some sidestreet with the door open. I got some interesting looks. A couple of cars went around the block and I thought they were creepin on a comeup. They weren’t though. Just as dusk was fading into night, the tow truck, like a beacon of hope, appeared in my rearview mirror. They towed me out of there and left me by a service station in Willowbrook. I had them look at the car. They replaced the battery and alternator, which helped them determine that neither of those things was causing the problem. I guess it’s my ignition switch. What a pain. The thing is on recall, but Acura says I already had the recall work done. I said, “Did they recall the recall? Cuz it’s not working.” I think I’m SOL with Acura. The guy in willowbrook says he can fix it, he just needs to borrow Spicoli’s dad’s tools.

Car troubles. That’s no good. I was thinking about dating the other day. I consulted some ladies that we hung out with at Lolla and got some insight. One of them said that in order to get a girl, you have to be kind of a dick; that women are into the chase and you have to be mysterious to them in order to get them to like you. It’s sorta like the old three day rule. Where you wait three days before you call the girl or whatever. When you think about it, it’s actually counter-intuitive. In order to get a girl to like you, you have to act like you don’t like her. Really?! That’s the attitude though and I have already admitted freely that I don’t have the attitude. I really don’t want to become an asshole. I’m happy with who I am. I don’t think I’m exactly a creampuff all the time, it’s just that I’m pretty laid back, and honesty is really important to me. It’s also important to me to keep things as simple as possible all the time. That’s why I don’t (or rarely) lie, because I don’t want to complicate things (there are other reasons too). It’s the same thing with stupid games, I just don’t want to have to jump through all of these hoops and pretend I’m something I’m not.

Speaking of something I’m not, I’m not in a band anymore. I used to be a punk rocker, now I’m just a suburban dad. So sad. Yeah. Well I guess the band wants to go on tour. Which is cool. I’m very excited for them and it rocks that they are getting out there and bringing the music to the people. But yeah, they told me that I wasn’t a good fit cuz I’m a nerd and not a punk. Well they didn’t put it like that, but that’s kinda what it boiled down to. Or are punks nerds? I think some punks are nerds that just got angry. Maybe I’m not enough of a nerd. Or I’m not angry enough. I think I’m just too normal, and I def can’t quit my job and drive across the country in a van (as appealing as that sounds). They sent me a very polite e-mail and thanked me for my enthusiasm and punctuality. I wish them the best; I really like the music, so I think they have a chance of catching on, if things break right for them. I hope it works out. Hopefully they won’t get into too many fights or run into the issues that have held them back in the past. I def want to check them out live. I think they are playing the Elbo Room on the 21st. Sundowner is also playing that night though, and I’d like to see them too.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOpch8lVjHI

No comments: