Thursday, August 19, 2010

Miscellany

Yesterday was definitely a survival day for me. A couple of months ago, during the World Cup, I went out during the week. I can’t remember where I went. The next day at work I didn’t feel too good. Well I felt fine in the morning, but then by around noon, I felt like complete ass and was just stupid messed the rest of the day. I was a little concerned that would happen to me yesterday. I was working on limited sleep (4 hours) and I had to attend a conference with some of my superiors. I ate some breakfast, an English muffin and some fruit. That stayed down ok. For lunch I choked down half a sandwich and ate a banana. Right around conference time, I was feeling pretty good, no delayed repercussions like last time. We went to the conference, and I was really worried that the lack of sleep would catch up with me and I would be nodding off in front of everybody. I actually remained pretty chipper. As far as surviving goes, I did a great job. I’m actually kinda proud of myself for pulling it off. I slept like a rock last night, woke up this morning and worked out; back on track. I don’t know how I made it through that conference. It shocks me that people who reach high levels in any industry, the financial industry in this case, don’t have the ability to speak to a crowd. These guys were mumbling, they were ill-prepared, they were slouching. It’s brutal to have to sit through that. The organizers should know this and at least get some visual aids going and get someone moving around. Watching 7 old people sitting at a table gurgling into a microphone gets old pretty quick. I know it’s dry subject matter, but couldn’t they at least try to spruce it up? In the e-mailed itinerary for the conference, they don’t mention swaps once. Well the whole conference was about swaps. I think swaps affect maybe like 10 percent of the people in the room, and that was all they talked about. When I heard swap I was like, “not our business” and I turned my brain off. I had to fight to turn it back on, just to make it through. I’m sure I got something out of the experience, the cookie was good. Fiji water is so tasty. Fiji is def my new favorite water.

On the dating tip, it’s a crazy world out there for sure. I’ve got people coming and going, and people who I thought were gone coming back, it’s a mess. It’s fun to talk to the people and exchange messages, but I don’t see any dates coming soon. I hope I’m wrong. One woman gave me the diss while I was at the Interpol show. We had never even met, and she’s like “I’m just not sure I can handle the fact that you have 3 kids.” She went into more detail and the text was really long (ATT had to break it into 2 parts). I just texted back, “Thx, good luck to you.” I was gonna text something like, “You’re a special girl, I totally understand, you’ll find what you’re looking for, Don’t settle, etc.” I thought that might make her feel bad, if I said too much. I thought, short and simple would be easiest for her, and she won’t regret the decision (well obviously she’ll regret the decision, I’m fairly certain that all of the women that have dissed me so far will come to regret the decision.) That’s me though, I’m supposed to think that way, aren’t I? I thought that was a little odd though, cuz she winked at me, and my profile says I have three kids. Moving on. I was going through some profiles of suggestions on OK Cupid. One of them was a girl I’ve seen before. She’s very indie, punk rock looking, I think she has green hair in one pic. She’s not bad looking. 26. A little young. She’s not shy about the fact that she likes sex. Which is cool. A lot of people on OKC put sex as one of the 6 things they can’t live without. Most would agree. In this girl’s profile under deepest secret I’m willing to admit, she has: “I LOVE ANAL!!!!!!!” You would think that it was a joke, or that someone got a hold of her profile and messed with it, but I don’t think that’s the case. She’s online regularly; everything else about her profile seems legit. I just think she likes anal, and is obviously quite open about it. I really could say more about this, but I think it would be best to leave it at that. I know you’re wondering if I contacted her, I did not. Too young and I’m not interested in a purely sexual relationship right now.

Half the fun of going to a show is the pre party. I think the anticipation is the best part. The rock is good, although quite often, the actual event does not live up to expectations. I try to keep my expectations to a minimum to combat this effect. Before Interpol, I cruised over to my buddy’s place and his brother showed up later. It was a good time, prolly as fun as the show. The reason we were late for the show was cuz I think we were having too much fun sitting around and listening to records. I was basically playing dj all night, then my buddy says, “I want to hear london by the Smiths.” I was like, “I’m not sure I have it.” Then I started picking through my vinyl, and I pulled out a Smiths record that I prolly haven’t listened to in like 5 or more years. Shoplifters of the World. It’s basically a single that’s the size of a full record (12”). What do you know, London is on there. We listened to the whole thing and man did it bring back some good memories. I prolly bought that record when I was 17. Immediately I thought it’s prolly worth money. I dunno how much it’s worth. It has a picture of Elvis on the jacket. I saw one on ebay for like 100 bucks, that had a flaw or something. I’m not gonna sell it anyway.

On the music tip, there’s a band playing tomorrow night that I kinda wanna see. Neutral Uke Hotel. They basically play Neutral Milk Hotel songs and the guy plays ukulele. I dunno. I listened to them on youtube and they sounded ok. I’d like to check them. I was wondering when someone would throw together a NMH tribute. I’m not wondering anymore. There’s another band playing on Saturday I’d like to check. Sundowner. It’s basically Chris from the Lawrence Arms. I’m sure he’ll play some TLA stuff, so def worth checking. Lots of other stuff on the horizon. The national, Jimmy Eat World, The methadones, Riot Fest, lot’s of rock. Also College Football, Pro Football, kiddie football. I’m gonna be busy. Busy is good.

No comments: