Friday, June 25, 2010

GBV

I just don’t know where to begin today. I was reading Savage Love in the Reader. I rarely ever miss it. Well this week’s was a little lame. It was about FTMs. I thought I was up on all the jargon, acronyms, and everything else in SL, but I had no idea what this was. The first question was about a gay couple who were having trouble getting it on because one dude wasn’t attracted to the other cuz he was an FTM. Well it didn’t take long to decipher that FTM was “Female turned Male.” Which makes this relationship out of control on a number of levels. So a woman got changed to a man, or identifies as a man, and is gay and therefore dating a dude. This is basically a heterosexual relationship. Well…not really. Cuz the problem was that the gay dude wasn’t attracted to the other “dude’s” girl parts. I dunno. I guess everybody’s got problems.



Since we’re talking about couples, let’s transition to the PDA couple. It’s Friday, it’s Summer, the PDA couple was in full fondle today. Well I’m assuming. I was walking down the platform to find a good spot to get on the train. Then I saw the PDA couple. In case you didn’t know, the PDA couple is a couple on my train who are over the top touchy-feely every day, in the morning, at 7 am, on the train, in front of everybody. So today I’m thinking, maybe today’s the day when I can hang by them, do some reconnaissance work, and maybe talk to them. So I’m walking up to them and they did look cute all standing there next to each other, arms around each other’s waist. As I got about 10 feet away, the dude, who is pretty tall, leans down and starts repeatedly kissing the woman’s forehead. I had to just keep going. I wasn’t going to stand next to that, or interrupt it, or whatever. It’s Summer, love is in the air.



Ok. Yesterday, I had to take a psychiatric profile test as part of the custody evaluation for the divorce. It’s a standard thing, everyone has to do it. It’s like 540 questions or something like that. It’s all true false. It was actually kinda fun, and at times funny. It’s tough though, to take those tests and be completely honest. Most people want to do well on tests. They want to get the right answer. So at times you find yourself trying to pick the right answer instead of being completely honest. I def did not go overboard with this, I had to be somewhat honest, although, I wasn’t brutally honest. I could definitely tell that certain questions were trying to probe for introversion. I’m not a closet case, but I would say I tend to be toward the introverted side of the introverted/extroverted spectrum. One of the questions asked “When I feel down, if I go to a party and engage with people I feel better.” Well, Yeah, it depends on the party and the people, etc. I’m sure some people would say “No, they’d rather be alone to deal with it.” I dunno what the right answer is there. But I think that question was probing for introversion. So some of the questions were applicable and caused me to think and then there were the questions like this, “I am sometimes controlled by evil spirits.” Seriously? Who is answering yes to this? I know there are people out there who are completely batshit, but when someone sits you down and asks you this, even if you think it, do you say yes? I see this as one of the many flaws to the test, other than the one previously mentioned about trying to do “well” on the test. “I see animals and objects that others don’t see.” Who is answering yes to this stuff? On one level I can see someone who is not mentally well, they know it, they want to be accurately diagnosed so they can get the help they need, maybe these people would take the test honestly. “Do you hear voices.” Quite a few questions were of this nature which I would term probing for schizophrenia. Then there were the paranoia questions (probing for schizo as well I guess) “I think people are talking about me.” “I think certain people are preventing me from being happy.” “I have identified the person that is out to get me.” Or something like that. A lot of those questions on there. I dunno. It was funny. Some of the questions were funny. I’m trying to think of another category, oh yeah, hypochondria, or just general ill health, it depends. A lot of questions asking about health, I get headaches, I get body aches, I get warm, I get cold, My hands and feet are always hot or cold, I have body twitches, I can’t sleep, I sleep too much, etc. Also questions about focus, I can’t concentrate, I concentrate too hard. There’s also the obsessive/compulsive piece, “I don’t step on cracks when I walk down the sidewalk.” I forget the other OCD questions, but they probably had to do with having things in the right order, or the right places, “I need to have my things put away in the right places or I can’t think” type of questions. I dunno if I’m gonna get my results or not, I’ll have to ask for them. I’ll post them on here if I get them.



I was talking to my boss about the test cuz we are both interested in psychological stuff. He said there was a test invented by some psychiatrists that identifies psychological disorders by asking seemingly innocuous questions. “What color do you prefer, red or blue?” That kind of stuff. Now that is a test that might work (but would probably also generate a lot of false positives). It’s cool. It’s fun to talk about psychological stuff, it def makes your brain work. Speaking of brain, my brain needs a rest. I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I might check out the Sox/Cubs game tomorrow. That would be fun. There are also a lot of street fests this weekend and I’ve been itching to check one out. I also would like to go see The Melvins tonight, or Ween. I think someone else decent is playing too. This Sunday, David Bazan of Pedro the Lion(?) is playing at a streetfest and I might check that as well. Good times. Lots of parties. Hope you guys have a good one.

No comments: