Friday, July 9, 2010

Punk is bad

I have all day to write this blog. It’s so damn quiet. I’m the only one in Compliance. I’m holding down the fort. It’s funny, there were a bunch of us in Compliance a few months ago when I started. One day everyone was going to be out but me and the woman who is out today. All the other people were in such an uproar, and were considering juggling their schedules and stuff because they thought that myself and this other woman couldn’t handle it. It’s like really? You think you are just that important, and if you are out one day, the whole company is gonna go to shit? Whatever. I was the only equity compliance officer on the trading floor for Wachovia (before the company imploded, I swear I had nothing to do with it.) I’ve put out fires before, a lot bigger than what can come up in a prop shop. I better not jinx myself, otherwise I’ll have some kind of major error and be on the phone with the exchange for the rest of the day.



First things first, news. They finallllyyyy announced the lineup for Riot Fest. Bad Religion is headlining and I will def be at that show. Some other notables: The Lawrence Arms, Smoking Popes, Circle Jerks, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less than Jake, Articles of Faith, riverboat Gamblers, off with their heads and many others. The flyer says that more headliners will be added soon. Ticket prices have gone up and I’m kinda chaffed about it. Last year, the first round of 5 day passes were going for $80. That’s a crazy bargain considering there are 21 shows (although it is impossible to be at all 21 unless you can bilocate). The passes that I ended up buying last year were 110 each and I’m not sure we got our money’s worth. This year, I’m thinking I might just buy tix for the individual shows. I gotta see who is playing when. I’m thinking that the Methadones will be added to the bill at some point cuz this would be a good way for them to go out to a huge audience. Either that or Noise by Numbers will play. Both options are good. Oops. Lost my focus there, so this year, the 5 day pass is 115 bux right out of the box and will prolly go up as they add more headliners. I can’t say I’m disappointed, but I was hoping that they could get the Descendants to reform for the show. I’d also like to see Archers of Loaf, Superchunk, The Melvins, bad brains, fugazi, or any of my other favorite punk bands added to the bill. Check out the rest of the lineup here http://www.riotfest.org/lineup/

On second blush, the lineup looks pretty good. I gotta get up to speed on some of the other bands. How could I forget THE MEATMEN. I’ve never seen them. No doubt I will be catching that act.



I really don’t like to talk about the divorce, but since I’m on the subject of punk music, I just feel like sharing a little bit. The divorce has been contentious and both sides have filed multiple petitions that discuss questionable activities of the other side. Well they filed a petition that mentioned my interest in Punk music extensively. It was pretty dumb, and imho absolutely irrelevant, but it just reminded me of like a Methodist Minister damning the heinous and vile Punk music and all it represents. It will be the bane of man, and poison our youth. That kind of stuff. It mentioned that I wear steel toed boots to shows. You go to enough shows in sandals, eventually you wise up. It mentioned that I like to mosh, and I seriously have not been in a real mosh pit for 8 years or something. I dunno I thought it was silly, but at the same time, I can’t run from it. It also mentioned that I kicked Alkaline Trio’s tour bus until they opened the door. Which I did, but my hands were filled with stuff and I couldn’t knock. They let me on the bus and signed my orange copy of Maybe I’ll catch fire. I may have to call them in to testify. The petition reminded me of the Quincy (old TV show) episode where there is a punk rock gang or something. I think it was this very show that got me into punk rock. It was way over the top about how the music is violent and that people who listen to it are depraved. I was prolly like 10 when I saw the show, and I prolly thought punk was a very bad thing at the time. After time went by, it sorta became the forbidden fruit, and I got into it more and more. I was into alternative music at a young age, bands like The cure, The cult, U2, REM, The Smiths. Pretty tame stuff, then I started listening to the Dead Milkmen. The songs were so irreverent, so short and catchy, I loved it. I still like The Smiths etc, or Smith torchbearers like Interpol, but there will always be a soft spot for punk.



Switch gears. I met some buddies last night for a couple of beers. One of them is 44 and still single. He has been around the online dating block and around and around again. He has some sweet stories. He never had someone send him naked pictures, but he has some stories. I asked him if he ever had someone just cut off contact without a word or explanation. He said it was fairly common, and he’s done it to people. I’ve done it too, but not to people I’ve met, not to people who had reason to believe I would be in contact with them in the future. Those people get explanations, they get a phone call or e-mail that says I’m not interested. I think that’s common courtesy. I’m new to this dating thing though. He said that maybe you contact 50 women and boil it down to like 5, meet them and work from there. I don’t think I’ve contacted 50 women, my ratio of contact to response is pretty good. I mean I only contact people who I think I have a chance of getting a response from, so that works in my favor. Sure I see some smoking 26 year olds that I’d love to contact in more ways than one, but I dunno, I guess I just don’t think I have a chance with them. I guess that’s a bad attitude. I have contacted some women under 30 that have similar interests, but I really don’t think I have much of a chance with a woman under 30, or it makes sense to try to have a relationship with a woman under 30. I’m open though. I’ll talk to pretty much anyone that contacts me. Pretty much.



Back to the idea of a 26 year old. I’ve been thinking about this concept a lot. Especially when I’m walking to the train and there are just hot young women all over the place. They’re head turners, but I ask myself, what would really come of it? Sure, they’re hot, and I’d like to have sex with them, that’s human nature. Other than that though, what is there? They’ll want to talk about twilight movies and Lady Gaga, or television. If there is one subject that I’m not up on it’s TV. Sports, yes, the world cup, yes, trading yes, TV, no. I don’t watch TV shows. They all look stupid. The office is ok, and south park. I was watching Archer, but that kind of wore off. I watch American Pickers and Pawn Stars with my kids, those are good shows, but I just don’t have anything in common with a 26 year old, that I can think of. It’s hard to say though. I don’t judge, so I wouldn’t judge a woman based on her age. I guess at the end of the day it’s like, they should be with some hot young single dude, out partying, having a good time. I’ve got baggage, I’ve got kids, I’m soon to be divorced. I thought I had a nice philosophical discussion to get into on this subject and somehow it slipped through my fingers. Oh well, I’ll have to revisit it.



Wow quantity over quality, always good. I’m gonna be out this weekend, def at the world’s largest block party on Saturday, and maybe at West Fest on Sunday. I should have some more interesting news at that time.

No comments: