Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Death and records

Wow. George Steinbrenner died. I didn’t realize he was 80. Time keeps moving on. Steinbrenner was a nut, but he seemed to be able to laugh at himself, which is always a good way to have a positive public opinion. I don’t know much about him, other than that he owned the Yankees and had some kind of weird love/hate thing with Billy Martin (RIP) in the 70s; but he will be missed. We lost Harvey Pekar yesterday, who’s next? Dom Deluise? Oops I guess he already died. Maybe Hugh Hefner? I didn’t realize Hugh was 84; he’s still out there moving and shaking, he’s trying to buy the rest of the outstanding playboy stock and take it private. Pretty cool that he actually gives a crap, let alone has the mental faculties to pull it off. Don’t even get me started on his bedroom antics, jeez he’s getting more action at 84, than I got at 24. There’s still hope though. On a side note I guess he picks the cover and reviews every page for every issue of playboy that goes out. Maybe that’s why it sucks. Sorry Hugh, you’re still the man.



I figured out why I was bummed all weekend. I thought it was cuz that girl dissed me and that was on my mind. Well the mind is a funny thing, that was just a projection; I missed my kids. That makes perfect sense. I was going to the track, they would’ve loved that. Then on Sunday I went to the Sox game, it was family day. I should’ve figured it out, it’s weird though. You think as an adult you know yourself and you know what’s bothering you, and you don’t. Adults can plan ahead and prepare themselves for what’s coming. I knew I didn’t have the kids, I tried to make arrangements to stay busy and get out of the house. Sometimes the best laid plans oft gang agley. You think you have mentally prepared yourself for what is coming, i.e. last weekend, no kids, you can’t force yourself to feel a certain way (let’s not argue this one), you can try to take your mind off of it, but sometimes that doesn’t work. So yesterday I had my kids over and it was so nice. It’s like that piece that was missing all weekend was back. I got out and played Tennis with my son. Ran around a bit. We all sat around and watched pawn stars together. It was really nice just being around them. I’ve got them this weekend and I’m hoping to take them on a road trip, I’m thinking of hitting Wisconsin dells. I’ve never been there.



I’m starting to get amped for Lolla. Against me got added on Saturday. If I only had one day at Lolla, Saturday would be it. That day is gonna rock from like 11am on. I’m thinking about bringing the kids. I’d like to. They’d really love to see Green Day, but I just don’t know if they can hang all day like that. It’s gonna be a game-time decision. I’m prolly gonna hit Sunday too. My new fave band Hockey is playing along with Soundgarden and some others. I was driving to the train today and a song came on my ipod, I was like “who is this!?” It was Hockey. More on Lolla later.



Yesterday I talked about a cool record store I happened into. The place was called Permanent Records. It was jamming. I was a little jealous cuz it was the kind of record store I want to own. So last night I was thumbing through Chicago Social and I saw a blurb about another record store called Saki (I think). It is owned by some dude who owns a popular restaurant. I’m not sure if we are at the point where all these record stores can survive. Look at the stores from back in the day, wax trax, that place on Lincoln by lounge ax, that place on Belmont, Rock records downtown, Tower records, Virgin records, that record store in depaul’s loop campus, Rose records, that heavy metal record store, all of these places are gone. I don’t think their business models were significantly different than let’s say Permanent Records. PR was cultivating the DIY décor, they had an area where you can listen to stuff before you buy, they had a lounge area with magazines; I don’t think they had a stage for in store appearances, but that Saki place does. What about the Merch? I always like the t-shirts and random junk they had at the record store, these stores don’t have it. “It’s all about the music man…the music.” I think I just did them all a favor by saying their business model is doomed, they are gonna owe me big.



I stumbled into another store when I was at West Fest. I don’t know the name of it, but they were selling like 15 different styles of $25 t-shirt that no one has ever heard of, with lame ass patterns and stupid sayings. Then they had like 10 pairs of jeans. And that’s it. I guess they might have had some other random junk. They had a TV and a couch with magazines. It’s like “how does this place stay open?” Is it a front for the mob? Who is shopping here? Who is wearing these stupid t-shirts and just happens to be the right size for 1 of the 10 pairs of pants? When I go into a place like that, I almost immediately have a burning desire to leave. I don’t want to make the owner feel bad though, so I fake look around. Then I bolt. Always a good feeling walking out of one of those doomed establishments.

No comments: