Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Guy who is me

I’m sorta still smarting from this online dating thing. It’s pretty crazy when you think about it. So many factors and so many things can go wrong. I’m def with the guy that said if a girl likes you, she helps you out. It’s like, one thing, one stupid text is gonna derail the whole thing? It could, but in reality, there was more than that. It is a combination of things. Then when you start to let go, and move on, you start your own list of things. I guess that’s a normal coping mechanism. “Well she did have huge boobs, and a great taste in music, but she had dogs and texted during our conversation.” Seriously, I know it’s a bad habit, and I do it, but it is so disrespectful to text when you are hanging out with someone one on one. Sometimes it’s necessary, and if you are good friends with the person, they prolly understand, or they’re in on it, “I’m just letting Charlie know where we’re at.” If that is not the case, and you just start texting when you are talking to someone you don’t know, then that person is def feeling like they are not as important as the person in the text. That sucks. I’m def gonna make a point of not texting when out with people, it’s becoming one of my biggest pet peeves.



Back to the texting thing. I used to think that e-mail was the best way to communicate. I feel that I do well with the written word and that my thoughts will be readily understood. I’m starting to doubt that now. I don’t have the desire to come up with the number, but I did find a statistic that said that 84% of people think their texts are misunderstood. I don’t know how to handle this, other than to keep the texting to a minimum at least until someone has a good understanding of me. The problem is that people are going to infer their own tone. Tone, is probably the easiest way to misunderstand a text. You can say something like “Get outta here.” Some people might take that for what it is, an old way to say, “Aw come on, you’re pulling my leg.” Some people might take it literally that you really want them to leave. Some might see it as disrespectful. It could be read as lame, an old, trite catchphrase. It could be read as uneducated or low class slang. You just don’t know how people are going to run with a simple comment. The person could have other issues in their life. Maybe they are pining for a lost love or going through some other major changes. Texting can be tricky. I’m going to tread lightly going forward.



The boss is out this week. That rocks. I was thinking about it today, and my boss is really cool. The stress level is very low in my job, and my boss does not really raise that level at all (as most bosses do). But today on my way in, I felt less stress. I feel like it’s going to be a less stressful week because the boss is out. I guess that’s just buried in my genetic code. Lotta people wearing orange today, The Netherlands is playing a huge match to make it to the finals of the world cup. It would be cool if they won, cuz there are a bunch of people in my office from the Netherlands. Safe to say the game will be on every TV and productivity will be impacted. I should be getting hooked with a massage today too. I really need it. My rotator cuff is messed and I just don’t feel like giving it a rest. I’m hoping that the thing just figures itself out. My wrist is bugging me too, which sucks. My Nephew started playing lacrosse and I got out there and threw the ball with him. It was really fun, but the impact of the ball hitting the stick took its toll on my wrist. I’m thinking all it needs is a little rest. I threw a little lefty and surprisingly, my left hand is still pretty good, after all these years. I should try to just throw lefty, that would minimize the stress on my wrist. The bummer is that righty, I can put the ball wherever I want, not so much lefty. I guess that’s how you develop the skill though.



My weekend was pretty good. Saw an awesome fireworks show on Sunday. My brother belongs to a country club and they have a private show for the members and their guests. You’d think it would be short and sweet because of the cost. Well the thing lasted like a half hour. They were shooting off all kinds of awesome stuff. It might’ve been the best fireworks show I’ve ever seen. It’s not like there is one show that sticks out from another though. They’re pretty much all the same. I saw the Karate Kid over the weekend. It was ok. It’s really hard to mess with the original on that one, they did take the story in a couple of different directions, but at the end of the day, it was the same thing. If you were wavering between seeing it in the theater and renting it, rent it. Or better yet, rent the original. I took a poll after it, original or new. My oldest and middle children liked the new. My youngest preferred the original, as did I. Even split. Well…sort of.



I hung out with my old friend and his family over the weekend, and that was very nice. It was a nice break and a good way to get the kids out and active. My bud is married w 3 kids and lives in a nice neighborhood with a community pool. It was a non-stop rock and roll party. We got there and cruised to the pool. Grilled out, swam, played some bags. Then we cruised back to his place. He got a bonfire going, we did the s’mores thing and just generally chilled. They wanted to know how things were going, and it was nice to get some things off my chest and just tell my side of the story. I know the other side is being told and I don’t know how I’m being represented in that story. It was just nice to talk to my friends and hear their stories as well. It was therapeutic for sure. Didn’t do much for my sleep though. My middle child has issues with food, like he overeats and then gets sick. So we were up all night on Saturday running in and out of the bathroom. Nasty business.



I totally forgot to write about what inspired me to open the document in the first place. So I was smarting over this online dating thing. I just started thinking about how it’s still early, I’m not even divorced yet, etc. I got a tinge of hope from this, that tinge that says things will get better. I know they will, but it’s just hard when happiness is always in the future. I want to be happy now. I want things to be simpler now. Oh well, some good stuff coming up this weekend. Good distractions for sure. Old St. Pat’s block party, and this street fest that has The Life and Times and we were promised jetpacks. I’m hoping to hit all of the above. We’ll see. Life is good, no boss.

No comments: