Friday, July 3, 2009

On the Yob Front

I’ve got a lot of stuff to talk about today, but something hit me when I was sleeping and it’s a conundrum that I’ve been grappling with ever since.

What happened to racquetball?

Back in the day racquetball was the shit. Every respectable health club had a r-ball court, my buddy had a r-ball court in his basement, r-ball appeared in the movies, what the fuck happened? I don’t think you can get r-ball equipment anymore. It was supposed to be the sport of the 21st century. Oh well. We still have curling. That would rule if someone had a curling rink in their basement. Some rich dude in Denmark prolly does.

Ok, let’s get to the shit, I got a job. Wheehee. I’m really excited about it. I’m more excited about it than all of my other possibilities. The guys are way cool, they gave me a very fair deal where I can make good money if I’m profitable, and it’s a small firm with big plans, so I’m in on the ground floor. These guys have serious vision and a game plan and I’m totally fired up to be a part of it. I’ll let you know how it goes. Here is the link to the website: http://www.reverbcapital.com/. The space they are in rocks. It’s on the corner of Monroe and Lasalle, right in the heart of the financial district. Right now it’s only like 8 people, but I’m hoping in 2 years we’ve got 80 people and the thing is a juggernaut. There is so much space at the office, that they have a ping pong table, foozball and a jam room. That’s right, a jam room, to rock out in. Music is kind of a theme over there. I think all they have are a couple of guitars and amps, but I’m thinking about bringing my drums over and rocking out. I’m not sure if the other tenants in the building would dig that though. First things first, I have to rock out with the trading and then rock out with the music.

The big event at emusic occurred and I think it was kind of a dud. They acquired rights to Sony music, but there isn’t much that I don’t already have that I want. Here’s the deal. They added like 700 huge artists, I had 40 downloads, I went at it searching for something awesome. I had high hopes. I thought it would be no problem using up my 40 dls. Well I searched for about an hour and only came up with the first album by Cypress Hill which I dled. I did get the whole album for only 12 credits. So that was cool. I also dled Sometimes Salvation by the Black Crowes. I dunno what it is with that song, but I don’t see why it gets disrespected. They left it off of their best of album. I think it’s their best tune. So I dled that. And that’s it so far. I was looking at Blizzard of OZ. I just wanted to dl I don’t know, Crazy Train, Goodbye to Romance and Mr. Crowley; and they lock Crazy Train so you only get it if you Dl the whole album! That’s shady! That’s not the emusic I know. What gives? Locking certain songs. I bet that ends soon. That’s just lame. Even itunes wouldn’t do that. I gotta go back after it today and see if I can find anything else. The problem with major label, old school type of stuff, is that I already have most of what I want. They could’ve done a better job with access to the new stuff from Sony. I don’t want to search every artist to find out if they are on Sony or not, they should just have a section titled “the shit” and let me peruse through it to see what all the fuss is about. I was half considering dling some ELO, but I put that on hold. I ran across Kill the Musicians by Screeching Weasel. It has 31 songs on it. I totally would’ve dled it, but it wasn’t offered for 12 credits as it should be per the new deal, so I sent them a message asking “what gives?”

I have seen a bunch of movies lately and I’d like to rank them in order of how I liked them. Here goes. Some of the movies are old and were on Comcast. Here’s the list:

6. Happy Gilmore: Good movie, kinda gets dumber and less funny with each viewing.
5. The hangover: See my previous blog for more details on this one.
4. Meet the parents: Pretty classic. Kinda less funny each time.
3. Tropic Thunder: Not bad. Robert Downey Jr. was awesome. Worth seeing just for him. Some other stuff is pretty funny. Jack Black could have been better.
2. Into the Wild: Awesome book, solid movie. The movie tried to be the book, like exactly like the book, major success, but should’ve been more of a movie and less an exact clone of the book.
1. Iron Man: Top spot. Great movie. Good story. Cool effects. Solid performances by RDJ, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, and others.

SLFTD: There’s a beach there known for cancer…waitin to happen.
FMT: Meet the warm long lie.
Vftd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqFkVNlWs8

No comments: